Thursday, December 10, 2009

"Fresh" Start

For some reason I keep on waking up at the crack of dawn lately...well not literally, but definately earlier than I need too! In order to take advantage of the full day I had ahead of me, I decided to begin my Thursday with a rejuvinating yoga session along side Rodney Yee (he is the instructor on my yoga DVD...great guy...and uber ripped!!)

I knew my yoga practise was done when my stomach started talking to me. The only breakfast item that really felt appealing this morning was oatmeal...again, and I am sorry. I promise I will switch it up one day so that I can introduce you to new and exciting ideas! [Maybe tommorow as I am dying to try this double decker almond butter french toast]

As for the oatmeal, I stuck with the stewed bananas...I just couldn't believe how amazing it was yesterday and needed to re-try it to reassure myself.
For the toppings today, I used the usual as well [blackberries, raspberries, raisins, walnuts, ground flax seeds, and yogurt] but that's just because I have to use up the fresh fruit before I go out and explore the produce section. However, for some extra excitement [and fibre] I sprinkled on some Original All-Bran. I also had a nice cup of brew to accompany my bowl of oats!


After breakfast, I lay around for a bit and then decided to shower so that I could get on with my day. I was meeting a girlfriend of mine from work, Kelly, to do some serious Christmas Party shopping... as we are going to her Red Bull Christmas Party tonight which will potentially be a very entertaining evening with kareoke-ing...

Finally out the door, I hopped onto the streetcar to get to my destination...and well long story [very long story] short, the guy who eventually sat next to me turned out to be from Summerland (which is like 20 minutes away from my hometown Peachland). We found out we knew the same people (which isn't a huge deal being from small towns.) But just thought I should share that encounter as we ended up meeting on the other side of the country...such a small world!

After a very long shopping adventure, I finally returned home...and let me tell you, it was about time! Clearly I wasn't thinking straight this morning/afternoon when I left for my shopping escipade because I didn't even pack a snack.... as a result, I was famished when I got home at 630.

Luckily for me, I found a cookbook today that I just couldn't resist buying! It's made by the owners of my new favourite restaurant in Toronto: Fresh. It's called Refresh...check it out; it has some super neat recipes.

So with a recipe idea from my new purchse, I went to work. But with my grumbling stomach having a major influence on the time it took to make, I needed to pick something quick, easy...but still interesting.

I ended up making a wrap which they have called "the Holiday Wrap:" festive, I know. However, I really adapted mine as I am not very good at following recipes (a skill I got from my mother.) It had marinated tofu [a little concoction I created in a hurry tonight but turned out fantastic], sautéed vegetables, avocado, cucumber, tomato, and sprouts! And for a sauce, I made a delicious chipotle mayo...god, it was good.


After wrapping that loaded baby up [it was definately a struggle,] I gave her a nice grill job...sliced her in half and served!


Marinated Tofu
(however, I use the term "marinate" lightly as my father informed me this past Thanksgiving while I was 'marinating' my tofurkey that "tofu cannot be marinated...as 'marinating' is related to meat and meat only)

1 package extra firm tofu, cubed
3/4 cup tamari
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic

1. Whisk the wet ingrediants together
2. Pour over cubed tofu
3. Let sit in the refridgerator for at least an hour (Mind you, I was famished tonight so I think I let mine sit for half an hour TOPS, and it was still fine!)

Chipotle Mayonnaise
2 chipotle peppers, and some adobe sauce (the sauce around the canned chipotles)
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain yogurt

1. In a blender, purée all of the ingrediants.
2. Spread this on or dip into anything that needs an extra ZIP...it's amazing!





No comments:

Post a Comment