Friday, December 11, 2009

My Followers Need Me, Officer!

I got arrested last night.

But then I informed the gentleman that I have a food blog which people rely on each day in order to know what crazy concoctions I have in store for them. So he let me go...and then asked for the link to my blog.

Okay no. But, I still had quite an interesting night at the Red Bull party!

You should have seen the assortment of cheeses and baked goods...let's just say people knew where to find me. Out of courtesy to myself, I refrained from taking photographs of the "snacks" I demolished. For a mental picture, think 'beautifully cubed cheese: everything from aged cheddar to gouda and thinly sliced crusty bread...which I then ingeniously decided to dip into ranch dressing...' Times that by 20, and I think that would accurately describe my starter!

So this morning, my left hand pulled the bag of rolled oats out from the clamping of my right fingers. I did not allow myself to have yet another bowl of oats this week, purely for the sake of you: my followers!

On today's breakfast menu: Banana and Almond Butter French Toast with a Blueberry Maple Sauce.

[This post will be lacking in photographs as my camera broke this morning immediately after filming my roommate change her first light bulb: it was an epic moment...a scene that I was not going to let myself forget. But, I guess it's true when they say 'Karmas a B#@#&' because as soon as I replayed the video...it broke.]

Anyways, my breakfast preparation began with the blueberry sauce. I combined frozen blueberries, water, and maple syrup in a sauce pan...which I then brought to a boil and reduced it for 15 minutes in order to let the sauce simmer and thicken. Oh my, it was like pure candy...(in the future I am going to experiment with actually making this sauce a candy) However, for this meal candy was not what I was in need of so I added a little more water until it was the consistency I was looking for.

For the french toast itself, I used two slices of whole wheat bread; to one slice, I spread on a thick layer of almond butter and then layered sliced bananas on top. Next, I sandwiched the sucker together.

Then I drowned the "sandwich" in a mixture of one egg and two tablespoons of almond milk. With a soggy sandwich in hand, I decided to transfer her to a lightly buttered frying pan. I fryed it until it was golden brown (about 5 minutes each side.)

I had some left over egg mixture, so I fryed that up to so I could have a little side of scrambled eggs.

Next comes the exciting part. With a beautifully golden brown "almond banana sandwich" on the centre of my plate, I put on a good scoop of plain yogurt. To that, I poured on my perfectly runny blueberry maple sauce. Looking at this master piece of mine was mouth watering.

However, for some extra sweetness and a dip all the way through, I poured some maple syrup onto the side of my plate.

(When I was finally done preparing my breakfast I was not going to let myself eat it without a photograph...so in desperation, I tore apart my roommate's room in order to find her camera. And, I did...so you too can enjoy this mouth watering experience I had!)



[Don't mind the slightly burnt scrambled eggs along side...those are not what I am trying to focus on here! But hey, protein's protein.]



Blueberry Maple Syrup
[Recipe comes from my new favourite purchase: Refresh cookbook]

6 cups frozen blueberries (you can use fresh too! or any other type of fruit...take risks people!)
1/2 cup maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar
1/8 cup water

1. Put the ingrediants in the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
2. Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment