Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's Never Too Late for a Bar Session

Even though I got home from work at around 10 tonight, I still went ahead and baked up some goods as I promised myself that I was going to try out this new recipe! So after having a light snack [my left over roasted sweet potato from lunch] I got to work on my new favourite bar: a carrot oat bar. Let's just say it tastes like carrot cake in bar form...and a little nuttier!

Ingrediants
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup raisins (or whatever dried fruit you're feelin' like...coconut would be a real nice addition!)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 egg

To begin, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine all of the dry ingrediants.

In a separate bowl, combine your wet ingrediants. This is where I really struggled as I didn't realize how difficult it would be to grate a carrot on a hand-grater---- but boy, did I ever learn. Just don't do it. (I ended up resorting to a paring knife where I chopped up that puppy into little pieces!)
Alright, yes...now add the wet ingrediants to the dry and give her a good stir! It looks a little strange at this stage...but don't judge a book by its cover!!

Transfer this lovely mixture to a baking pan (11" X 7") and spread out evenly with a spatula. At this point, I sprinkled some ground flax seed and brown sugar over the top!

Put in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes...or until the top is nicely browned!

Let cool, and then cut into squares... and there you have it; one healthy hearty snack bar! They are delicious...I couldn't wait for the bars to cool down and dug in while they were still pipin' hot.


Well, now that it's well into the next day...I think it's about time I put the baking supplies away and hit the sheets. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment