Thursday, September 9, 2010

Window Sill Garden

Having faced a series of wilted herbs in my refridgerator as of late, I decided to purchase my very own basil plant. I thought it was a good way to always have basil at hand, but also a way to have edible basil.

This new addition to my home made me realize that I should really hold off on having children --- Taking care of anything alive is quite the feat for me. By the time the leaves started accumulating on the floor, I realized it was time to put that basil to use.

Being a crisp, fall day, nothing sounded greater than a plate of pesto pasta!

Pesto
1 cup of fresh basil
1/4 cup of chopped walnuts (or almonds, or pine nuts...you can essentially use any nut!)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large cloves garlic
salt and pepper, to taste
water
1. Combine the basil and walnuts in the food processor, and pulse a few times to break the mixture down.

2. Add the garlic and parmesan.

3. While the processor is whirring, gradually add the oil. You do not need to add all the oil. I like to add only a bit for flavour, and then I add water to get the right consistency.

4. Taste test --- Feel free to add some salt, more garlic, or anything else you feel it needs!

I boiled up some brown rice pasta to have with the pesto.


To the mix, I added some crumbled wild sockeye salmon. Pesto and salmon just go hand in hand. I sprinkled some more parm and a few capers on top, and then for some extra greenery, I had some steamed broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment