Friday, September 17, 2010

Protein Packed Pancakes

Those grey skies blew right on over --- Waking up to sunny blue skies was a perfect way to begin a Friday, or my weekend. Having Fridays off from school is so nice; I get a long weekend every week!

I headed out for my morning run with money in hand as I had to pick up a few things at the end of it --- Running out of toilet paper is something that is unheard of until you live by yourself. I didn't know there wasn't a never ending supply of the stuff...

For breakfast today I tried out Angela's spelt pancakes from Oh She Glows; however, I switched it up a little as I am too stubborn to follow any directions.

Coconut Spelt Pancakes

1/3 cup spelt flour
1/2 tbsp. Vega Complete Whole Food Optimizer (chai flavour)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. coconut flakes

1/3 cup almond milk (maybe a little more depending on consistency)

1. Mix together the dry ingredients, and then gradually stir in the almond milk. If the mixture is too thick, feel free to add a little more milk or water.

2. Pour small rounds onto a greased frying pan (I used coconut oil for that extra hit of coconut!)

3. Flip cakes as soon as you see bubbles forming on the top! Fry the other side until it is golden brown --- another couple of minutes.

4. Walah! A healthy single serving of pancakes! Accessorize as you please.

I topped my pancakes with some frozen banana puree, chopped walnuts, cacoa nibs, flax meal, and craisins for some colour!

I was a little low on agave nectar due to my granola disaster last night, so after awhile I started dipping my pancakes in some raspberry spread.

The batter made about three small pancakes...and it was plentiful! The protein powder fills ya rightt up. I'll let you know tommorow if they stick with you throughout the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment