Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Nutty October

It's that ray of sunshine that streams through my window every morning, followed by the constant sound of rustling leaves, that keeps me from going crazy this time of year.

And then, it's that pile of loose leaf paper, the stacked books, and the crumbled up interviews in the wastebasket that bring me right back to my frantic state.

October is a beautiful disaster for me, and I am almost certain that that is the case for every other university student in Canada and the world.

However, last night as I was laying in bed thinking about the midterm I had to write this morning I suddenly felt at ease. There really was nothing I had to worry about. Sure, I could go over everything I DIDN'T know for the exam...Or else, I could think about all the simple things in life that make me happy --- Like sunshine, rustling leaves, delicious food, racing heart rates, beautiful family and friends ---Why do we let such little things like midterms and papers get to us? There is so much else to life, there is so much beauty.

I woke up with ease this morning as those pleasing thoughts I went to bed with took any sign of grogginess out of me.

This mornings run felt easier than ever, too. Instead of huffing and puffing, I breathed deeply in the crisp fall air; and instead of looking at my own racing feet, I waved to every Jo Blow that crossed my path. Today was going to be a good day, midterm or not.

For breakfast, I had some protein packed pancakes --- topped with sliced banana, agave nectar, and almond butter. Lately I have been doing half spelt flour and half oats to switch up the texture. I have also been adding in whatever I feel is necessary, like today for some brain food I threw in some flax seeds.

They were delish. I must say these are a great way to get through my ever-so-gritty and over powering in taste Vega powder!

After breakfast I went about my day --- On what seemed like broken glass --- As I was informed that at any point during the day an exterminator could come barging through my door. Why? I don't know. I promise you I have seen no rodents or bugs as of late. However, my landtoad likes to keep us on edge...Posting signs is her cup of tea!

No exterminator yet.

I was dying to get home after class tonight as while I was deeply involved in class discussion this afternoon, I found a recipe that looked too good to pass up. A mixed nut engery bar --- and we all know I love any and all things nutty --- and I happen to have an influx of nuts in my freezer, always.

I found this recipe while perusing the Carrots n' Cake bake sale...I most definately found some other must-trys! Those will come; I promise you.

Here is my version...However, it is is very similiar to Amanda's lovely creation

Nutty Enegery Bar

Ingredients

1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup dried prunes

1/4 cup ground flax (you can use whole flax seeds; just add them into the first processing step in order to grind them up!)
approx. 1 tbps. dried coconut
approx. 1 tbps. agave nectar
aprox. 1 tbps. of almond butter
1 tsp. vanilla

1. In a food processor, combine nuts and dried fruit; pulse until it forms into a crumbly mixture (about 30-45 seconds.)
2. Transfer to a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir until everything is well combined. (I used my hands to make sure everything was good n' stirred!)

3. Pour into a pan and flatten to desired thickness...Mine were about 1/2 an inch thick!

4. Store in refridgerator for a few hours, or until you can't wait any longer...

I waited until after dinner to indulge with some heated and diluted almond milk...But wow, these are incredible. The prunes are perfectly sweet, and the nuts add a nice texture!

For dinner tonight I had a portabello "pizza." And by pizza, I mean open-faced melt with toppings.

In olive oil, I grilled the portabello mushroom for a few minutes on both sides. I then sprinkled on some dried italian spice, dried chili flakes, and some soy sauce (to give the mushroom an extra bit of flavour.) With the mushroom on its bottom, I lay on some sliced roma tomatoes, and grilled eggplant. I then transfered the baby to an oven proof dish where I proceeded to top it with spinach and mozarella cheese --- And into the broiler it went!

At the last minute, I added some sliced green olives.

This "meaty pizza" was to die for...I forgot how incredible real mozarella is! It gets so stringy and chewy when it's melted...Mmmmm.

I dipped it in Dijon mustard and sriracha...

Now I must force myself to do work as October and all of its glory is still going full throttle!

1 comment:

  1. Tatomme, I loved how postive your post is! I barely recognized the author! I wondered what prompted such healthy self love until I read the phrase " influx of nuts". Sounds rather dirty, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete